Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bitchin' Banana Bread

I ended up with a ridiculous surplus of bananas. Not shockingly, they went a little bit sketch. There is one word for this situation: Awesome.



My solution to this non-problem is adapted from the ABC Children's cookbook



To participate in the awesome, you will need:

3 sketchy bananas
3/4 c. of sugar
1/2 c. of vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 t. vanilla extract
3/4 c. chocolate chunks (I really, really like the 365 organic mini-chunks from Whole Foods. Feel free to substitute whatever you want.)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease up a bread pan. (I use PAM)
2. Put the sketchy bananas and the sugar in a bowl and mash them up with a wooden spoon. I like to leave mine a little bit lumpy.
3. Add the vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla and stir until the liquids are incorporated.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir until incorporated.
5. Now mix in the chocolate chunks and walnuts.
6. Pour the batter into the baking pan and put it in the oven for 60-70 minutes.
7. Lick the bowl.
8. Test the bread with a toothpick or cake tester. When it comes out clean, your bread is done. Take it out of the oven and set the bread, in the pan, on a cooling rack and let it set for 10 minutes. (Fair warning, if it comes out dirty after 65+ minutes try sticking a clean tester somewhere else. You probably hit a banana vein.)
9. Turn the bread out onto the cooling rack and let it cool to room temperature.
10. Slice and enjoy.

When you've had your initial fill, wrap the banana bread in saran wrap and it will keep for longer than it will last. I also have it on good authority that it freezes well, but I haven't had any last long enough to test this myself.

3 comments:

  1. I can't say I've ever gone in for chocolate in banana bread, and unfortunately my Grandma's recipe pretty well died with her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's because her approach to a recipe was to say "read me the recipe and I'll tell you what they actually meant by that"...she then proceeded to change either they type or amount of every ingredient on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me! I'm using Irma's recipe on page 624, more or less -- with nuts AND dried apricots. We will find out shortly how it came out.

    ReplyDelete